Abdoulaye Mar Dieye of Senegal was appointed Assistant Administrator and Director of the Regional Bureau for Africa at UNDP on 16 July 2013.
Mr. Dieye has many years of distinguished service within UNDP, most recently as Chief of Staff and Director of the Executive Office (since 2009). Prior to this, he served as Deputy Assistant Administrator and Deputy Regional Director, Regional Bureau for Arab States, New York, overseeing UNDP programme portfolios in Northern Africa, the Middle East and the Gulf Countries. Mr. Dieye has held various leadership positions, including as Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General, UN Operations in Cote d’Ivoire; UN Resident Coordinator, UN Designated Official for Security, Humanitarian Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative, Abidjan. Mr. Dieye has held several senior positions with the UNDP Regional Bureau for Africa as Senior Economist; Chief of Staff; Chief Economist and Chief of Policy; and Country Director of Programmes and Operations for West Africa.
Prior to joining the UN, Mr. Dieye held a series of senior level positions in Senegal, including as Chief, General Planning Division, Ministry of Planning and Cooperation.
Mr. Dieye is an Ingenieur Statisticien Economiste; he graduated from the Ecole Nationale de la Statistique et de l’Administration Economique of the Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques (INSEE), Paris. He also holds a Masters degree in Development Studies from the Institute of Social Studies in The Hague.
Born in 1952, he is married and has four children.
- Abdoulaye Mar Dieye Keynote Speech at 2017 YouthConnekt Africa Summit Jul 20, 2017
- Statement of Abdoulaye Mar Dieye during the Joint Meeting of ECOSOC and the Peace Building Commission of the United Nations on the Situation the Sahel Region Jun 28, 2017
- Statement by Abdoulaye Mar Dieye on the Passing of UNFPA Executive Director Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin Jun 6, 2017
View more >
Director's blog posts
Feb 23, 2017
View more >
- 5 September 2016 : « L’Afrique peut devenir pionnière sur les questions de genre » (Jeune Afrique)
- 13 June 2016: The Meaning of TICAD: The Enduring Relevance of a Unique Policy Forum (Financial Afrik)
- 10 June 2016: Africa’s head start on implementing Global Goals (Financial Times, This is Africa)