UNDP Africa, New York
Abdoulaye Mar Dieye of Senegal was appointed Assistant Administrator and Director of the Regional Bureau for Africa at UNDP on 16 July 2013.
Mr. Dieye has many years of distinguished service within UNDP, most recently as Chief of Staff and Director of the Executive Office (since 2009). Prior to this, he served as Deputy Assistant Administrator and Deputy Regional Director, Regional Bureau for Arab States, New York, overseeing UNDP programme portfolios in Northern Africa, the Middle East and the Gulf Countries. Mr. Dieye has held various leadership positions, including as Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General, UN Operations in Cote d’Ivoire; UN Resident Coordinator, UN Designated Official for Security, Humanitarian Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative, Abidjan. Mr. Dieye has held several senior positions with the UNDP Regional Bureau for Africa as Senior Economist; Chief of Staff; Chief Economist and Chief of Policy; and Country Director of Programmes and Operations for West Africa.
Prior to joining the UN, Mr. Dieye held a series of senior level positions in Senegal, including as Chief, General Planning Division, Ministry of Planning and Cooperation.
Mr. Dieye is an Ingenieur Statisticien Economiste; he graduated from the Ecole Nationale de la Statistique et de l’Administration Economique of the Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques (INSEE), Paris. He also holds a Masters degree in Development Studies from the Institute of Social Studies in The Hague.
Born in 1952, he is married and has four children.
- 18 March 2015: Navigating the grey scale (Financial Times, This is Africa)
- 15 February 2015: Ebola: recovery starts now
- 11 December 2014: Development for the people (Project Syndicate)
- 13 November 2014: Après Ebola, repenser le développement (Huffington Post)
- 3 November 2014: Innovation: The new currency for emergence in Africa (UNDP)
- 1 August 2014: Five questions with Mr Abdoulaye Mar Dieye, Head of Africa, UNDP (Planet Earth Institute)
- 26 June 2014: Want to escape Africa's middle-income trap? Avoid the 'Jekyll and Hyde syndrome' (Devex)
- 24 January 2014: Growth with Inclusion (The European)
- 17 January 2014: Avoiding another crisis in the Central African Republic (IPS News)
- 29 October 2013: The human face of regional integration in Africa (Financial Times)
- 03 October 2013: Africa's Mineral Wealth Can Be a Springboard for Development (Huffington Post)
Abdoulaye Mar Dieye Speeches
- 20 Apr 2015:Head of UNDP Africa at Regional Consultation on Peace, Security and Development
- 13 Nov 2014:Head of UNDP Africa at donor briefing on Ebola
- 02 Nov 2014:Head of UNDP Africa: Knowledge and innovation for Africa’s transformation
Abdoulaye Mar Dieye on Flickr
Contact UNDP Africa
UNDP Africa, Addis Ababa