Regional Service Centre for Africa
“Addis Ababa has become Africa’s capital, the hub for global and regional discussion about Africa’s development" - Helen Clark, UNDP Administrator
UNDP’s Regional Service Centre for Africa in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, covers 46 countries across the Sub-Saharan Africa region. Our experts support UNDP Country Offices and manage a host of regional programmes and projects in different countries across the continent.
Inaugurated in May 2013, UNDP’s Regional Centre in Addis Ababa results from the merger of two Centres, one based in Dakar, Senegal and the other in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is home to around 80 development experts.
One of the lessons of our efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) is that growth, poverty reduction, and social development are too often considered in isolation, each with its own programmes, advocates, and experts. In practice these are interconnected objectives: in pursing one, we can advance, slow, or stall progress in the other. To get all of them moving in the same direction, we need to understand and harness the connections between them.
To that end, UNDP now operates a single policy Centre in the heart of Africa, where development specialists from diverse thematic areas of focus work ever more closely with each other to build and disseminate knowledge on Africa’s key development priorities.
UNDP recognizes the crucial role of continental bodies such as African Union (AU) and regional institutions like the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) in building peace, resolving conflicts and promoting good governance, sustainable development and poverty reduction.
From Addis Ababa, UNDP will continue to support programmes such as the AU's New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD), which seeks to eradicate poverty, place African countries on a path of sustainable growth and development and help Africa to participate actively in the world economy and political stage.
From the new centre in Addis Ababa, UNDP will step up its support for Africa’s regional integration agenda, working with partners across the continent.
Regional Service Center News
- 08 Aug 2014:UNDP, African Union to organize gathering of women in business
- 17 Jun 2014:Responsible investment critical for peace and stability in Great Lakes region
- 05 Jun 2014:Managing diversity key to improving Africa’s governance: UNDP, ECA report
- 19 May 2014:African countries need to tap global markets more effectively to strengthen their economies
- 14 Apr 2014:African government representatives gather to focus on long-term plans for climate change adaptation
- 13 Mar 2014:UNDP steps up its support for sound public finance in Africa
- 03 Feb 2014:Africa: Urgent action needed to link mining with region’s development objectives
- 19 Dec 2013:Africa: UNDP launches new hub on extractive industries