Regional Service Centre for Africa
Aiming to eradicate poverty, violence and hunger, UNDP supports countries in Africa to translate economic growth into long-lasting, inclusive human development. The organisation works with governments, businesses, communities and regional organisations, supporting countries to withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone.
In 2014, UNDP started implementing its four-year Strategic Plan to become more driven, results-oriented, and efficient. The Plan ensures UNDP will be fit-for-purpose and make the best use of the resources trusted to it. Making an impact at country level and the ability to make prominent contributions to the global development dialogue are key objectives of the Plan.
On the ground in more than 170 countries and territories, UNDP serves as a knowledge broker, builder of capacities and facilitator of exchanges to achieve its mandate.
About the UNDP Regional Service Centre for Africa:
The UNDP Regional Service Centre for Africa, based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and with additional offices in Dakar, Senegal and Nairobi, Kenya, serves UNDP’s 46 Country Offices in sub-Saharan Africa, is the organisation’s main interface with regional and continental bodies such as the African Union and the Regional Economic Communities, and implements UNDP’s Regional Programme.
This continent-wide programme supports Africa’s transformation agenda by 1) enhancing inclusive and sustainable growth, 2) widening political participation and giving everyone a voice, and 3) developing responsive institutions which deliver desired services and promote inclusive processes of state-society dialogue. The work builds on UNDP’s expertise in development thinking and practice, and decades of experience working at country level and globally.
Other areas of work led from the Centre on a regional and continent-wide basis are: preparation for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), improving countries’ public finance management, mitigating the impact of HIV and AIDs, building capacity for disaster risk management and climate change mitigation and adaptation, enabling access to sustainable energy and sustainable use of natural resources, promoting gender equality and empowerment, and enhancing food security in the Sahel.
Regional Service Center News
- 22 Sep 2014:UNDP, African Union join forces to promote peace and development
- 08 Aug 2014:UNDP, African Union to organize gathering of women in business
- 17 Jun 2014:Responsible investment critical for peace and stability in Great Lakes region
- 05 Jun 2014:Managing diversity key to improving Africa’s governance: UNDP, ECA report
- 19 May 2014:African countries need to tap global markets more effectively to strengthen their economies
- 14 Apr 2014:African government representatives gather to focus on long-term plans for climate change adaptation
- 13 Mar 2014:UNDP steps up its support for sound public finance in Africa
- 03 Feb 2014:Africa: Urgent action needed to link mining with region’s development objectives
- 19 Dec 2013:Africa: UNDP launches new hub on extractive industries