6 Promote gender equality and empower women
Where are we?
- The ratio of girls to boys enrolled in primary school continues to improve in many African countries, and almost half the countries in Africa have achieved gender parity (girls’ enrolment is almost the same as boys’ enrolment).
- Although women’s share of paid employment outside agriculture increased from 35 per cent to 40 per cent over 1990–2010, African women’s employment in the nonagriculture sector is lower than in other region.
Women across Africa are becoming more empowered, with more girls attending both primary and secondary school and more women in positions of political power. Nearly half the countries in Africa have achieved gender parity in primary school, and while parity at the secondary and tertiary levels has improved, limited data makes measuring progress difficult. At nearly 20 per cent in 2012, the proportion of seats held by women in national parliaments in Africa is surpassed only in Latin America and the Caribbean.
While Africa is making great strides towards Goal 3, early marriage, household power dynamics and low economic opportunities for women are slowing progress. These challenges must be addressed for Africa to reach all the targets and indicators by 2015.
Africa is making steadier progress on increasing the proportion of seats held by women in nation- al parliament than are other regions. In 2012, only Latin America and developed regions surpassed its achievement.
UNDP's work in Africa
For Mama Nsedu, a young widow in Northern Nigeria, feeding her family was becoming harder every day. Like thousands of women in the rural communities ofmore
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament
- 08 Mar 2014:Focus on Women
- 03 Jun 2013:Driving African development through gender equality and empowering women
- 31 May 2013:Empowering women and closing gender gaps in Africa under spotlight at Tokyo conference
- 23 Sep 2012:UNDP, Liberian President join efforts to support market women
- 12 Jul 2012:Rwanda: Women helping lead country’s transformation
- 07 Mar 2012:Sierra Leone: Saturday courts tackle gender-based violence