6 Ensure environmental sustainability
Where are we?
- Over 1990–2009, only 20 African countries reduced their CO2 emissions, while 34 increased them.
- Evidence in several African countries suggests that deforestation is occurring at an alarming rate.
Africa is making progress on Goal 7, but achieving and sustaining environmental sustainability is a challenge as the continent remains at a high risk of the effects of climate change, evidenced by its recent severe droughts and floods.
Africa is doing well in limiting CO2 emissions and ozone-depleting substances, yet forest cover is shrinking, and most countries struggle to meet targets on water and sanitation. To improve access to water and sanitation, countries must concentrate efforts in rural areas and low-income groups, as urban–rural income disparities in access are holding back progress.
UNDP's work in Africa
In the Lyantonde district of Uganda, farmer David Muhoozi Kiseetula is seeing big changes in his harvest – and his life – after his farmers’ cooperativemore
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG7
- Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes; reverse loss of environmental resources
- Reduce biodiversity loss, achieving, by 2010, a significant reduction in the rate of loss
- Proportion of land area covered by forest and proportion of species threatened with extinction
- CO2 emissions, total, per capita and per $1 GDP (PPP)
- Consumption of ozone-depleting substances
- Proportion of fish stocks within safe biological limits
- Proportion of total water resources used
- Proportion of terrestrial and marine areas protected
- Reduce by half the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation
- Proportion of population using an improved drinking water source
- Proportion of population using an improved sanitation facility
- Achieve significant improvement in lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers, by 2020
- Proportion of urban population living in slums
- 07 Jun 2013:Japan and UNDP highlight need to build on adaptation achievements in Africa
- 30 Apr 2013:Angola, Namibia and South Africa sign world’s first large marine ecosystem legal framework
- 15 Apr 2013:Rehabilitating Angola’s protected coastal areas
- 15 Apr 2013:Promoting Access to Low-Carbon Development in Africa: 5th Africa Carbon Forum in Cote d’Ivoire
- 04 Apr 2013:Danish firm aims to improve health, environment in Mozambique
- 20 Feb 2013:Tea companies in Kenya go green through carbon finance