- Voices from Africa - April 2017 Apr 12, 2017
More than two million Liberians register to vote, almost half are women
Apr 12, 2017
Approximately 2.1 million Liberians have registered to vote in the upcoming October 2017 presidential and legislative elections, according to provisional results. Almost half of those registered are women. Voter registration was conducted between 1 February and 14 March 2017. Incumbent President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has reached the two-term limit for presidential office, which means a new president will be elected, as well as members of the House of Representatives by the end of 2017.
- Keynote Speech on Accelerating Structural Transformation and Human Progress in Africa by Ms. Ruby Sandhu-Rojon during the TICAD VI Follow-Up Event Apr 10, 2017
UNDP Goodwill Ambassador Crown Prince Haakon of Norway lauds Liberia’s Ebola survivors and Response Workers
Apr 4, 2017
The Crown Prince is an advocate for UNDP’s efforts to assist Member States achieve Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 1- to end poverty in all its forms everywhere. His visit to Liberia is an opportunity to see first-hand the country’s progress in Ebola recovery, in consolidating peace, and plans for taking forward the SDGs.
- ICEA 2017 ends with call to build on dynamic of emergence and institutionalize its platform for exchanging knowledge Apr 3, 2017
African Disability Forum formally registered, boosting disability rights on the continent
Mar 31, 2017
For the first time ever, Africa now has its own legally recognized umbrella grouping of organisations of persons with disabilities (DPOs) to ensure that decisions concerning disabled people are taken with and by persons with disabilities, their families and their organizations at pan- African, sub-regional, national and local levels. The African Disability Forum (ADF) was formally registered on 15 March 2017 by Ethiopia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Presentation by Abdoulaye Mar Dieye at Second International Conference on the Emergence of Africa Mar 29, 2017
- Helen Clark calls on African countries to mobilize for the effective implementation of their plans for emergence Mar 29, 2017
- Remarks by Abdoulaye Mar Dieye at the Eighteenth session of the Regional Coordination Mechanism for Africa Mar 25, 2017
600 Burundian youth fixing roads to help rebuild peace
Mar 24, 2017
Since December 2016 more than 600 Burundian young women and men wearing t-shirts printed with the message “I commit to peace for my country” have been busy rehabilitating roads, and cleaning and constructing drainage systems in parts of the capital city Bujumbura to help build stronger community ties to reinforce peace. In Burundi, UNDP is the lead agency on early recovery and durable solutions for crisis-affected communities, focused on a smooth transition between humanitarian and development activities.