UNDP food security report in Africa honored for excellence
The Africa Human Development Report 2012, titled Towards a Food-Secure Future, was among the winners of the 2013 HDR Award for Excellence, which honors the best and most impactful Human Development Reports.
Handed out by the UNDP Administrator Helen Clark during UNDP’s General Management Meeting in Tarrytown, the Award was also given to the Asia Pacific region, Somalia, Egypt, El Salvador and Nicaragua.
The prize, handed every two to three years to national, sub-national and regional reports have helped advocate the core principles of the human development approach, encouraged innovation in research, demonstrated the use of the HDR as an advocacy tool and shared good practices in the human development community.
Launched in May 2012, the Africa Human Development Report argues that Sub-Saharan Africa cannot sustain its present economic resurgence and human development progress unless it eliminates the hunger that affects nearly a quarter of its people.
“This award acknowledges the report’s great achievement, which was to say that food security is a core development issue,” said Abdoulaye Mar Dieye, the Head of UNDP Africa.
“Hence addressing it is a long-term endeavor that requires multi-sectors and integrated interventions, with the recognition that national efforts need to be complemented by more concerted international action to strengthen food security in the poorest, smallest and most vulnerable countries and regions,” he added.
Arguing that action focused on agriculture alone will not end food insecurity, the report calls for new approaches covering sectors such as rural infrastructure, health services, new forms of social protection and actions to empower local communities.
Ensuring that the poor and vulnerable have greater voice through strengthened local government and civil society groups is also needed to ensure food security for all, the document argues.
- 25 May 2016:Backed by Stars, Unprecedented UN Campaign Seeks to Mobilize Millions to End Illegal Trade in Wildlife
- 24 May 2016:UN and businesses team up to prevent and respond to crises
- 24 May 2016:AfDB Annual Meetings: African Leaders Highlight Role of Affordable Energy for Sustainable Development
- 23 May 2016:Africa: economic transformation hinges on unlocking potential of cities, says the African Economic Outlook 2016
- 17 May 2016:Allocution de M. Abdoulaye Mar Dieye lors de la Réunion du Groupe Consultatif pour le financement du Plan National de Développement 2016-2020 de la Côte d’Ivoire