Regional Programme for Africa Annual Report 2020
Jul 1, 2021
UNDP’s Regional Programme for Africa contributes to regional development by addressing challenges facing the continent and amplifying opportunities related to the priorities and aspirations defined by the African Union and other regional entities. Our Annual Report 2020 tells a story of Africa’s resilience amid a global pandemic and provides a compelling narrative of how UNDP continued to support home-grown solutions and spearhead innovation at a regional level. The report speaks to the successes and impact of the Regional Programme, detailing how we pivoted in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and supported the priorities of regional institutions such as the African Union’s continental strategy for the COVID-19 outbreak.
Below are a few highlights reflected in the report:
- The Regional Programme achieved 100% core delivery in 2020 and witnessed a 400% growth in non-core investments;
- We achieved an excellent audit outcome demonstrating our fiduciary integrity;
- Thought leadership notably on regional assessments of the multidimensional impact of the COVID-19 pandemic created a strong analytical base for policy advice and programmatic support at both country and regional level;
- Projects and initiatives demonstrated a remarkable agility and adaptiveness in response to the pandemic;
- Partnerships with regional institutions played a key role in our delivery and showcased the value of making space for home-grown solutions;
- Women and youth were at the centre of our regional priorities. In the Sahel alone, over 3,000 women and 2,000 youth were empowered through training, capacity strengthening, and financial and technical support provided through 2020.